Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 July 2015

More for Dragon Rampant - Elite Wood Elf Foot...

Here's a unit of 'Elite Foot' for my Dragon Rampant Wood Elves. The unit was painted differently to the knights, as I undercoated white. The mail was then painted black and dry brushed with whatever GW currently call the old Boltgun Metal and Chainmail. I then base coated everything else with mid-tone colours before brushing on Army Painter Strong Tone dip. I left this 48 hours before dullcoting the models. I then highlighted up using the base coat colour plus an extra lighter highlight on everything. This is slightly different to my usual dip and highlight approach, which base coats with the lightest shade and only highlights once with that same shade. However, I think this new method looks closer to my old Dallimore-esque technique - not quite as good, but much closer! The shields were layer painted - never use dip on shields!!

The models have mostly been converted with wire spear shafts and spearheads from the current High Elf spearmen, or similar...I got them from one of the online 'bits' people... I bought a couple of the spearmen damaged off EBAY with knackered swords so decided to buy and convert...

In game terms they function just like Foot Men-at-Arms in Lion Rampant and can be used to represent a prince and his bodyguard, either as a unit of 6 like this or as a unit of 3 with each counting as having 2 wounds. I think I'll field them in a unit of 6 as they look better that way.





5 comments:

Millsy said...

Lovely brushwork sir! We seem to have a similar approach to "dip", possibly because we both like the Dallimore look.

Thantsants said...

Very nice indeed - your technique is producing lovely results. The banner looks rather nice too.

Mallius Vane said...

Superb!

Piscatores said...

Look really good - hope to see them properly soon.

Hope there are no magic flying woods in this game!

Phil said...

Beautiful colors and details!